Udvartana (also known as unction) is massage performed with a deeply penetrating herbal paste, which, as it’s gently rubbed onto the body, also offers exfoliation of the skin. The massage strokes are generally done toward the heart with the intention of pressing stagnant lymphatic toxins out of the body. The paste is allowed to dry during the process and is then rubbed off. After a shower, the treatment resumes with an anointing of oil.
Other benefits attributed udvartana include*:
* Removes foul smell from the body
* Cures heaviness, drowsiness, itching, diseases caused by waste products, anorexia, excessive sweating and disfiguration of the skin
* Alleviates vata
* Helps in the melting of kapha and fat
* Produces stability of the limbs
* Promotes skin health
* Opens up the orifices of the channels of circulation
* Promotes the enzymes responsible for the metabolic processes in the skin, as a result of which the skin remains healthy
* Removes unwanted hair from face and body
* Benefits of udvartana adapted from Vaidya Bhagwan Dash’s Massage Therapy in Ayurveda.